Search the Blog

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Computer Software...

We've recently had computer software issues at school. Students have the latest versions of Microsoft office and the school computers only have the 2003 version of office.

So many students have their work in the form of digital files they cannot access when they get to school. Should they be penalized since school computers are not up to date on their software? Of course not. I've been showing students how to save files as older file formats, but sometimes students forget.

I've been spreading around the school this "free" version of office that is not a product of Microsoft (sorry Bill Gates). This free version of office is capable of opening any version of student files and can even convert them to any file type. Though I have been learning to use this software and it seems to come naturally to me, it may be a difficult transition for others.

Though I have yet to make my personal transition final from Microsoft office to OpenOffice, I have definitely been pushing the freeware to help with the lack of updated school software.

No comments: